Thursday, August 21, 2008

DeLiRiOuS

*Update*: If a kid's going to catch something, it's going to be before you travel with them :( Zachary did not have an ear infection. Instead, he has Coxsackie virus, commonly known as "hand, foot, and mouth" disease. Sounds like some farm animal illness, I know. It's actually quite common in young children, especially in the summer and fall. It causes blistering in the mouth, and often around the hands and feet. Zachary had lots of blisters in the back of his mouth and a couple on his tongue, and little rashy stuff on his arms. Megan had it when she was about 4, I think.

The only thing we can do is give him Tylenol and Ibuprofen for discomfort and fever spikes, nurse him often, and wait it out. It usually lasts around 5 days. So...glad we're in the winner's circle this year at the show so I won't have to clean the car, but afraid Zachary's going to be miserable on the trip. At least we're right there at the hotel, so I can lay him down when I need to. *sigh*

That's me today. I might have gotten 3 hours sleep last night. Zachary's 2nd tooth broke through Monday and yesterday, fever started. Got kinda high last night at bedtime, so really had to keep alternating the Tylenol and Acetaminophen through the night. I kept him in his bassinet just so I could check on him more easily. I'm a tired mama today.

And, just to kick me when I'm down, I have a horrendous headache that started sometime around 1 am. Tylenol and Ibuprofen aren't cutting it. But if I take anything stronger, I'll be down for the count and the kids will mutiny or something. I'll have to deal. This too will pass...

Getting ready to take him in to Dr. Billie just to rule out ear infection or whatever. I'm sure it's just the teeth, but since we're heading out of town tomorrow (lovely timing as always), I want to rule out infecction before we go.

Don't ask me any hard questions today. I won't be coherent enough to answer. *yawn*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Syd had hand, foot, and mouth the week Lucas was born. I was soooo exhausted!

Theresa said...

Hope he's better today. Teething is enough, shouldn't have deal with Coxsackie virus at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Just to make sure you are not too delirous, Tylenol and Acetaminephen are the same thing...you're just giving a double dose of the same medicine if you're doing that. Get Tylenol and Ibuprofen. ;) May have been a mistype, or a brain burp, or a mommy moment. In any case, check yourself.

Bless your heart. You need a day off!

Mysti said...

Yep, just a delirious mommy brain typo there. I alternated acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Thanks for checking up with me though. We're at the TA Nationals now and Zach's all better.