Sunday, June 22, 2008

Wellness mantra 1

"Just because you CAN eat it, doesn't mean you SHOULD"

I've gotten tired of being "fluffy" and out of shape since being pregnant and having my last child. I've decided to begin changing the direction of my lifestyle to reach a destination of "wellness". I don't want to diet and fail. I want to begin from the inside, changing my attitude and reaching small goals that develop into routine. I want to be fit and healthy enough to hang around until I'm 100 and having everyone say, "Wow, I can't believe she's still alive".

It's not a fear of death or anything like that. I just think I owe it to my Creator to take care of this one body He's given me so I can do the work He wants me to do for as long as I can. Our years here are only a drop in the bucket compared to eternity, so best make them count--you can't do that as effectively if you're in lousy shape.

Hence, my new mantras. This first one--oh, don't we all struggle with that one? Junk food is yummy--full of sugar, salt, carbs and fats that just seem so good going down. But that's where they stay--right down on our bellies and hips.

I want to teach myself (part of this I learned in past Weight Watcher's meetings) to make better choices. Is that cheeseburger or candy bar really worth it? Why am I wanting to eat this and why now? Am I really hungry or just bored, depressed, etc? The first goal: evaluate how much and what I'm eating before I begin, so that I consciously make better choices instead of regretting it later.

Care to join me?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

With you...losing the battle the last two weeks, but with you.

So many times I need or want to treat my kids and it's so hard to stay on track...but I'll be back on track this week. Project season also makes it harder to do quality, I've found. I have SO much to get done in a short time that it's easy to want to treat myself to something REALLY good.

I'm trying, though. Trying.

Being a good steward is the goal...something our finance class so helped me in. If we are faithful with little, he can trust us with more.

The principle: if we are unfaithful in little things...why would he give us more? He's a good parent that way.

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely with you, but, oh, it is a struggle! I've been trying to focus on better choices with vacation coming up, but I slip way too often! I am going to try really hard this week!

Anonymous said...

I'll join you too as long as it's a get healthy thing and not a diet thing...

...and there are no weigh ins.


Wait. Does this mean I have to give up my monthly Ben & Jerry's or Edy's?

Anonymous said...

I'm in.

I've gained around 15 pounds since weaning Tay a bit over a year ago. I'm ok with that, but don't want that to become a trend and look back with many more than that to lose.

I have started eating like a pig! It's time to watch what goes in. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm trying, but it is so hard :(

Mysti said...

I know--very, VERY hard! We all go through periods where we just eat terribly, but I figure if we can take small steps and make small changes, over time, we'll be healthier.

Nobody likes diets, so that's not what I'm doing. I'm just taking charge of taking care of me! I know I won't always make the right choices, but if I can make good choices MOST of the time, it will benefit.

Don't be discouraged by a bad eating day--just choose wisely the next time that you can!

Zdena said...

Ladies, my husband was 305 about 3 and half year ago (only 5'4"). It took him about a year to lose 130 pounds. And he keeps it from than. No depression, healthy eating and first of all DISCIPLINE!!!!!!