Then He can bring you through it. I've heard that many times. I thought about that this morning as I thought of how many experiences I've been through as I've gotten older. So, I've compiled a bit of a list of what God has brought me to and through.
- Divorced parents
- Never knowing one of my parents (that's kind of an oddity)
- A live-in grandmother with Alzheimer's disease
- Deaths of grandparents
- The disablement of my stepfather
- 2 totaled car wrecks (1 while pregnant with Zoe)
- Working full-time while married and in college
- 2 all natural childbirths (wonderful, but hard and working on 3--cheer me on :D)
- The sickness and death of my mom
- A miscarriage
- Loss of pets
- Loss of friends and extended family members
I could go on, but these things have been some of the biggest hurdles of my life. This is not a post of "woe is me", but a post of Thanksgiving. Since the holiday IS approaching in a couple of weeks, I wanted to get into the mindset of being thankful. I thank God every day for all the blessings of joy and happiness He's given me, but I don't often think about how He's gotten me through the tough times and the lessons I've learned, the experience I've gotten just from going through it.
If we lived perfectly peaceful and enchanted lives, how could we minister with empathy toward those who are in turmoil? The hardships of life, if we let God teach us, give us the grace to understand each other's problems, to know where they are in their pain ...and hopefully know how to give advice or help when asked or needed.
What experiences are you thankful for this season? What has God brought you to and through? What is He teaching you now?