Monday, November 12, 2007

Monday, Monday

Just checkin in here in Bloggity-ville. I've spent most of my computer time today just catching up on some posts on other folks' blogs. I'm doing catch-up cleaning and laundry too after a busy weekend.

And, I'm in the beginning stages of my first sinus infection for the season. I leaned over yesterday to chase our cat from under the bed and my left cheekbone felt like somebody hit me. Sinus pressure hit all at once. I'm keeping saline spray handy and will get my humidifier going tonight. I'm hoping and praying it will not ruin Thanksgiving for me. One year, I had a sinus infection on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the New Year. Not happy times.

We canned our first green tomato pickles on Saturday, the aftermath of which I'm dealing with today. I don't care for them, but they are one of hubby's favorite things to munch. It was my first experience canning ANYTHING, so it was fun to give it a go. Hubby used to help his mom can stuff when he was younger, so he knew a lot about what to expect.

I drove all over trying to find canning supplies. Kroger had jars and a canning funnel, but nobody else had anything. Wal-Mart puts their supplies up after summer, apparently. We made a makeshift rack for the bottom of my big stew pot to set the jars on. We tied jar rings together with twist ties and it worked well. I found a pair of tongs that worked reasonably well to lower and lift the jars out of the boiling water. A jar lifter would have been handy, but we made it work.

Well, I'm off to do some more cleaning and "mommy work". And blow my nose again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a jar lifter either, I just use old towels after they've cooled a bit. What my mom always used.

Actually Rural King keeps a fairly good stock of canning supplies!

I'm proud of you! Way to go!