Monday, April 30, 2007

Misty's Rx for a dirty fridge.

  1. Turn off the fridge (yep, there should be a switch inside, where you adjust the temperature...just turn that until it's off).
  2. Get everything out, even the veggie drawers and meat drawer.
  3. Throw away anything that is expired. Some things, like lemon juice in the bottles, etc will probably last a while longer, but everything else---toss!
  4. Toss all food sitting around in bowls, baggies, etc that is more than 2 weeks old, you know that no one will eat, and especially if it is molding, rotting, etc.
  5. Now, get a mop bucket and add ~1/8 cup baking soda (use fresh if possible--the old stuff in the fridge already has absorbed the smells you're trying to get rid of) and now fill the bucket about 2/3 full of hot water, making sure the baking soda is dissolved.
  6. Grab a dish rag and soak in the baking soda water, and wipe out the entire fridge, shelves, sides, bottoms, and don't forget the shelves in the door! Rinse your rag out after each few swipes.
  7. Dry off all surfaces with a dish towel as you go.
  8. Wash your veggie and meat drawers with hot soapy water, rinse well, and replace in the fridge.
  9. Turn the fridge back on and replace all food items.
  10. Enjoy your clean-smelling, much neater fridge. Put a fresh box of baking soda in there to absorb new smells. Repeat 3 or 4 times a year :)

Tomorrow, I'll tackle the freezer!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What A WOMAN! That's just all I have to say. I do my own about that often, but you just deserve a trophy for it EVERY time!

Anonymous said...

I don't get that detailed. Probably should. But I wipe down my fridge at least once every couple weeks. I will clean it out and wipe down with lysol wipes real good and then stick in a box of baking soda and I am good to go. Although a new box of baking soda wouldn't hurt or anything.

Mysti said...

I love Lysol wipes. Actually I tend to use the Clorox ones. They are a bit cheaper and they kill more varieties of germs as well. Love em for the bathroom.

Anonymous said...

Well, I buy more clorox wipes, but got a good deal on these so I am trying to use them up. But clorox all the way!!!! Clorox just sounds meaner doesn't it :)

Anonymous said...

I will say that the best time to clean out the frig is the day before pay day. In our house that means there is just about nothing in it except for condiments and an apple. I also do a science project sweep the night before garbage pick up so that any food I have to throw out doesn't rot unrefrigerated in the garbage can for a week.

Mysti said...

Our food levels were pretty low this week waiting for pay day...and a chance to go shopping. I've been seeing what all I can prepare out of the fridge and freezer so I won't have to throw it away when I cleaned it. Got the freezer Wednesday. Good ideas Joni. I like to throw away stinky food stuff on garbage day too. I've made the mistake too many times of putting tomatoes or something in the garbage, and boy did I regret it the next day!