Friday, September 01, 2006

Book Memes

I don't know exactly what a meme is, but "Maggie" had this post on her blog the other day. I was "tagged", which is the cyber-space equivalent of being "it" in a game of answering questions about a particular subject, in this case, books. Here is what I posted in the comments:

What is a tag? Does that mean I need to answer those questions?

If so, here goes–it will be short

One book that changed your life:
The Bible–how could it not? And possibly “Plant Anatomy” by James D. Mauseth–mainly because I just looked at it on my bookshelf and thought, “Why not?” I learned more about plants in that class then the average joe knows. Did you know that pears contain cells called brachysclereids that give them their gritty texture? Well, now you do.

One book that you’ve read more than once:
The Bible again, actually–read it twice through when I was younger, though I’m sure I didn’t get the meaning out of it that I can now. Oh, and I read some good kids’ books a few times too. One was “Silver Wolf” by Paige Dixon, which tells a wolf’s story from his point of view, and “The Wolves of Willoughby Chase” by Joan Aiken and Pat Marriott which tells the story of two little girls who become orphaned and must escape from an abusive orphanage. Very good story of overcoming adversity for kids.

One book that you’d want on a desert island:
Wow, that’s a really hard one, but probably a puzzle book to keep my mind occupied until rescue arrived. Plus, when I was finished with it, if I was still stranded, I could use it to start a fire, maybe.

One Book that made you laugh:
“Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway”–hilarious

One book that made you cry:
None that I know of–I’m not very emotional that way, but I almost cried when reading Stephen King’s “It”–crying for it to be over already!! Gees, that book was over 1000 pages–way too much detail to even be scary. You can only describe a freaky clown so much before you say, “Shut up! I don’t care. Get on with it”

One book that you wish had been written:
The manual that came with my kids when they were born.

One book you couldn’t put down:
“Salem’s Lot” by Stephen King–I had a Stephen King phase in my younger years. Very scary story about vampires and I couldn’t read it alone, it was so scary–had to be in the same room with my parents. It really was that scary.

One book you are currently reading:
“Intimate Issues” by Dillow and Pintus. Christian Bible study about sex. I’ll update new chapters on my blog soon–stay tuned!

One book you’ve been meaning to read:
No idea–I’ll surprise myself.

Five people to tag:
No idea–just anyone who reads go on and have fun. Come on now–whatcha waiting for?

You can read the whole discussion here: Magnanimity's Book Memes post

Now, if anyone wants to jump in, just comment it or e-mail me and I'll post it right here in cyber-space. Consider yourself tagged if you have read this *ha-ha (evil laugh)*

No comments: