Monday, October 17, 2005

Another challenge this way comes....


We had a good trip to the zoo on Friday. This is Meg and me at the end of the day waiting for the train ride. We could hardly keep up with her. She was so excited. Thursday night we stayed in a hotel and swam in the pool. Megan did so well with her little floaties. The water was a little cool but still fun.

Of course, nothing is ever totally smooth. Zoe decided on the first day of our travels to begin a nursing strike. For those of you who have never heard of that, it is when a nursing baby suddenly decides to stop nursing for whatever reason, sometimes unknown. It is different from weaning, because they are usually too young, and it happens so abruptly, as opposed to weaning, which babies will do on their own usually around 18-24 months, and weaning happens gradually.

Anyway, the good trip was a bit muddled by this new stress. I have now rented a double breast pump to keep up my supply while Zoe is "striking". I'm suspecting her teething is the issue, but hard to say. I am giving her extra cuddling and trying not to force her to nurse. I'm just offering it to her as often as usual, then pumping.

Needless to say, until this issue is resolved one way or another, I will be putting much of my fitness routine on hold in order to build up my milk supply which weakened a bit after the weekend. I'm focusing on lots of good nutrition, water, and relaxation. Of course, the relaxation part is a bit hard with Megan around, but when she naps, I'll try to as well. I'll only do the most necessary house work and errands, and keep meals easy and quick until we get either pumping or nursing established again.

I'll try to keep you posted on our progress and any changes. I hope I can take that pump back soon. I feel like a dairy cow---MOOO!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture! So sweet!

Joan said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhh. Cute pic!