Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's a Business

Writing, that is. Like anything else. I'm venturing into dark and scary waters and I'm tempted to jump back out on shore. But, nope, I'm staying in. I can swim...a little. I've decided to always keep in mind that I have no delusions of grandeur. I don't expect to be a Pulitzer Prize-winning author. I don't expect any bestsellers. What I do expect is to enjoy what I do and to keep at it a little every day. I expect to learn and learn and learn. To find my own unique "authorial voice".

How does a writer do that? I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm reading a lot about writing. Sounds kind of unproductive, but there is a wealth of information out there in Google-land. Writing articles, critique groups, classes, etc. I'm actively exploring every possibility. And trying to avoid those negativities that tell me I'll never make it. There's a lot of that out there too. Filtering out all that takes some concentration.

But I remember some very encouraging words from my mama, who was a great encourager to me. She said I could do anything if I put my mind to it. That is the key to success in anything. If your mind and heart are not fully dedicated to something, you'll not really succeed in it. So mind and heart, prepare for an on-going workout in this business of writing.


Now, where's my coffee?

No comments: