Thursday, January 08, 2009

Back home today

Yesterday, I traveled back to our hometown to attend the visitation for my friend Jamie's mom. It was good to see Jamie, her husband and two kids. I'd never seen the baby except in pictures. He's almost a year old. But, I wish it could have been under much happier circumstances. Jamie's grief-stricken, but she's strong like her mom always was. Her mom was proud of the great wife, mom, daughter, and friend that Jamie has become.

Jamie and I have been best friends since the 4th grade, when she transferred from a smaller county school to the main county elementary. We even roomed together at UK for 3 years until I got married and moved off to Louisville. Since then, we just haven't seen or heard from each other as often as we'd like.

I realized how quickly the years have passed by, and I so rarely see some of the people I love the most in my life. My only New Year's resolution this year is to be more thoughtful, so I think in light of that, I need to step up my contact with my friends and family that live far away from me. Obviously, with 3 little ones, travel is rather restricted, but I can call, e-mail, send cards and gifts more often...and try to fit visits into our travels too.

No comments: