Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Temptations and other thoughts

Over the weekend, on a semi-business trip to Evansville, we were given a big gift basket full of sweet goodies from the Great Harves Bread Company. It's sitting on my dining room table, tempting me. So far, I've had 1/2 a brownie, 1/2 a giant snickerdoodle, a small piece of strawberry shortcake bread, and some Groovy Granola. I've decided I'll stick only with the Groovy Granola, because it seems the healthiest choice, since it has oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, raisins, craisins, and other healthy stuff. When you sprinkle it on a single scoop of ice cream, it's really good...also good plain as well.

My blueberry muffins have been tempting me. I'm the only muffin eater here apparently, so it's hard to see yummy muffins go to waste. I'm limiting myself to one in the morning and one in the afternoon with some green tea for a snack.

Portion control is another thing I'm working on. Eating most everything on a smaller plate, making sure to dish it out in the kitchen and take it away to eat it, so I'm not tempted with seconds.

Eating slowly and thoughtfully is helpful, chewing each bite well and savoring flavors and textures. Allows time for my stomach to signal to my brain that I'm satisfied before I'm over-filled.

Sodas--I've been drinking almost exclusively diet sodas (mostly Diet Rite in recent years), but I had gotten a habit of drinking 2 cans a day. Cutting that back to one can, and even no cans on some days, replacing the soda with some skim milk.

Trying to shoot for a goal of not eating past 7:00 or 7:30 pm, unless I'm just really hungry. Brushing my teeth in the evenings after dinner may help with that.

Need to prioritize the exercise, preferably in the mornings, before kids are stirring too much. Need to stop procrastinating as I sit in front of the computer and drink coffee. Maybe make the coffee wait until after I exercise. Would be a reward of sorts, maybe.

Thinking I need to work on my backside and thighs--too much jiggling and gravity going on there. Going to check out my Pilates DVD to see if there are targeting exercises tomorrow.

No comments: