Wednesday, November 21, 2007

What to do with leftover pumpkin


I just had to post another post before the holiday begins. I made a couple of double layer pumpkin pies last night for our meals and had some leftover pumpkin mix and didn't want to throw it out. I looked up a recipe for pumpkin pancakes and used it for them this morning. They were delicious! Since my girls liked them, then you will too! :)

My pie mix had vanilla pudding in it, along with the regular spices. The pudding lent a unique, fluffy texture to the pancakes. If you've just got some leftover canned pumpkin or pie mix, this will work well. Since I had the pre-sweetened and flavored pie mix, I simply omitted the spices called for in the recipe and only used 1 tbsp of brown sugar. I also used 1 cup of buttermilk and rounded it off with 2% milk (I had to use a little more just to thin it out a bit, but not TOO thin, or you won't get fluffy pancakes). Since I used the buttermilk, I also omitted the vinegar.

Here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vinegar

DIRECTIONS
In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt, stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan [my electric griddle worked super well with this--heat to 350 degrees] over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

Thanks to www.Allrecipes.com for the recipe.

No comments: