Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Snopes-ing out your Pancake Mix

I received this e-mail from my sis-in-law today. If you use boxed pancake mixes like Bisquick--especially ones that are not resealable or just in cardboard without wax-lined bags, read on:

"I recently made a batch of pancakes for my healthy 14-year-old son, using a mix that was in our pantry. He said that they tasted "funny," but ate them anyway. About 10 minutes later, he began having difficulty breathing and his lips began turning purple. I gave him his allergy pill, had him sit on the sofa and told him to relax. He was wheezing while inhaling and exhaling. "....The e-mail goes on to claim that old pancake mix contaminated with mold had caused an allergic reaction that could have been life-threatening. The e-mail I got even included the link to the Snopes article. It turns out to be potentially true and there is at least one medically documented case of someone dying because of it. Here's the article:


No comments: