Friday, December 08, 2006

Friday's Quotes to Ponder

After the faith discussions this week (see Wednesday's post), I decided to share some quotes about faith that I found so we could ponder them.


"I always admired atheists. I think it takes a lot of faith."
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, Seoul Mates, 1991
This one is true for me too, not that I admire atheism. I have always thought it must take some strong faith to believe in NOTHING, no higher power or intelligence at all behind creation. I'm talking here about hard-core athiests, not anostics or people who just don't think about it. I can't imagine NOT believing in something bigger than my own consciousness.
You can do very little with faith, but you can do nothing without it.
-Samuel Butler
True dat :) You have to believe you'll be successful when trying something or you're bound to fail or at least be miserable (ever seen "Debbie Downer" on SNL?).

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we can't see.
-Hebrews 11:1
I've always liked this one. Great definition of what faith really is--not just blind belief, but strong conviction.

Faith is believing in something when common sense tells you not to.
-From the movie, "Miracle On 34th Street"
AMC has been showing the original version of this movie all week. It was the best!

Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with.
-Henry S. Haskins
This one reflects the post from Wednesday when I discussed being respectful of other people's faith. Even when we disagree, we can respect other's beliefs and love them for the people they are.

No comments: