Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas sniffles

Yep, another cold, probably gonna be a sinus infection again. Can't smell, can't taste. Don't have time to visit the doctor. *singing* " I'll be drugged for Christmas...you can't talk to me....please have Tylenol ...and Nyquil....and a nice warm blankie for me......"

Seems like one of us is always sick on Christmas. A couple years ago, my hubby had a stomach bug--that was unpleasant.

Still, I refuse to give up all my Christmas spirit. I baked cookies yesterday and will make some more today probably. Still have many presents to wrap. Making duck for Christmas eve dinner. My hubby probably won't like it, and I probably won't taste it, but I'm making it anyway. I'm going to try to deliver goodies to some friends today. I took some Chocolate Chip pumpkin bread to my neighbors Tuesday. Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
Makes 3 (9x5”) loaves

3 cups sugar 1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
1-15 oz can pumpkin 2 tsp baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil 1 ½ tsp salt
2/3 cup water 1 cup miniature chocolate
4 eggs chips
3 ½ cups flour ½ cup chopped walnuts,
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 9x5” loaf pans. In large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In another large bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, oil, water, and eggs. Beat until smooth. Blend in flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. Place batter in prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Cool on wire racks before removing from pans.

Some more baking tips for you:

1. Try to make cookies the same size for even baking. Use a cookie scoop to get uniform sizes.
2. Rotate cookie sheets halfway through baking to get even browning.

I hope all of you have a great Christmas and remember the reason for the season--not the colds *sniff, sniff*, not the presents, not the food, not the decorations--but the best gift we have ever received--Jesus! Thank you Father for your indescribable gift, a gift no one can ever top, a gift for anyone who asks--salvation through your Son. Amen

No comments: