Sunday, October 09, 2005

Sunday Musings

I made my first apple pie of the season today, actually a cranberry apple tart. Yesterday I mixed up a pate sucree (sweet flaky pastry crust) and chilled it until today. Today I cut up the apples, tossed them in lemon juice, thawed the cranberries, rolled out the crust, and made a caramel to cover the fruit. I lapped the edge of the crust over the tart, and crimped it up to make it pretty. Then I brushed the crust with cold water and sprinkled some sugar on it, baked for 40 minutes in a 400 degree oven. The rest was history--"perfection" my hubby called it. I love compliments like that. I made up a lasagna with some leftover stuff I had on hand and it was good too. The kitchen became hot with all that baking, but I opened a window and let the nice fall air inside.

The baking was a good distraction for me today. Two years ago today, my mom passed away from lung cancer. I'm kinda bummed. I still miss her so badly. I miss our long talks, our laughs, how she loved her grandkids and cats, and all the sweet things she crafted for me. I just miss having a mom.

If you or anyone else you know and love is a smoker, please stop or try to get them to stop. It's just not worth it.

Done musing now. Hope you liked my first blog pic. Hopefully I'll have more to come. God bless your heart.

3 comments:

Joan said...

I knew you had a cloud over your head today when I asked about you...I saw it. Gosh darn it. I wish I'd stopped. Just had too much "me" stuff going on. Forgive me. It looked like you really didn't want to talk, though. I know it's a personal day.

I love you. I loved your commitment to your Mom in that time of care through her illness, driving so far and staying so long with a young baby in a smoking environment you weren't fond of. You were such a good daughter...still are, passing on memories of warm apples pies.

Your pics come with smells? How's that? MmmmmmmmmmmmMMMM.

Okay, so I pulled mine out of the freezer from the deli section like you told me to last week. What's with this perfection business? Looks awesome.

HUGS!

"me"

Anonymous said...

Misty,

Mom got this new pan to make little bear cakes. Meg and me are going to make some this weekend hopefully! I can't wait. And your pie looks scrumdelishus! Can't wait to see you guys!

Love ya,
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

p.s. it wouldn't hurt me in the least if you bring one of those pies this weekend! I might need to taste perfection!

I am just kidding you know that don't do all that work. I just wanted you to know that it looks great.

Cheryl