Tuesday, September 20, 2005

My Fitness Journal, Part 2

Breastfeeding and Weight Loss
Yesterday, I decided to make an ongoing fitness journal, and I listed the ways in which I'm getting and staying fit. Today, I'm going to elaborate on my first topic--breastfeeding. This is in no way a slight to formula-feeding moms, but will hopefully share some knowledge about how breastfeeding is not only good for your baby, but good for moms too.
The great news for new and expecting moms is breastfeeding can help you lose those baby pounds! When babies are nursed exclusively (i.e. no formula), a mom can burn 200-500 calories a day just from feeding the baby. The excess fat you gain while pregnant is meant to fuel your milk supply. So, when you nurse, you're burning up that stored fat.
This, to me, means that I can't just sit on my bum and eat anything I want to, or the milk supply will just come from those excess calories, not my stored fat. So, in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise, breastfeeding helps me burn extra fat.
I found some useful guidelines for breastfeeding and diet on www.kellymom.com:
1.Wait until your baby is two months old before dietingIt's best not to do anything consciously to lose weight until after the second month. This gives your body enough time to successfully establish a healthy milk supply that is less likely to be adversely affected if your caloric intake is restricted. Breastfeeding your baby, on average, burns 200-500 calories per day (above what you needed to maintain your pre-pregnancy weight) -- so keep in mind that even without a weight loss program you are burning extra calories.
2.Breastfeed without restrictionResearch tells us that both more frequent breastfeeding and breastfeeding longer than six months increases maternal weight loss.
3.Eat at least 1500-1800 calories per dayWhile nursing, you should not consume less than 1500-1800 calories per day, and most women should stay at the high end of this range. Some mothers will require much more than this, but studies show that going below this number may put supply at risk.
4.Keep weight loss at less than 1.5 pounds per weekMost moms can safely lose up to 1.5 pounds per week or 6 pounds per month after the second month and not affect milk supply or baby's well being. One study has suggested that short-term weight loss of 2.2 pounds (1 kg) per week is not a problem (in this study, moms dieted for 11 days).
5.Decrease the calories gradually. A sudden drop in calories can reduce milk supply. Some moms notice this during an illness, although dehydration and/or medication use could also be a factor in reduced milk supply when mom is sick. It has been hypothesized that a sudden calorie decrease can cause mom's body to go into "starvation mode" and cut nonessential resources such as milk production.
6.Avoid quick-fix solutionsLiquid diets, low-carb diets, fad diets, weight loss medication, etc. are not recommended while breastfeeding.
So, what do I do in regards to breastfeeding? I am feeding Zoe pretty much on demand, when she's hungry, which means about 5-6 times per day now. She is eating solids now, so nursing less than she did before she had solids, which is normal. I am planning to nurse for at least one year, and end by 14-15 months.
I drink lots of water to help boost my supply. Nursing does indeed make me more hungry, especially with added exercise, so I do require extra calories. I usually eat 3 good meals a day, and 1-2 snacks. I sometimes have a bedtime snack too. I have not drastically cut calories, so that I will lose weight gradually and not affect my supply.
I know that some mothers cannot or choose not to breastfeed. However, I do encourage new moms to give it a try for as long as possible. If you work outside the home, you can find a great breast pump and still give your baby breastmilk exclusively. There are so many benefits to both baby and mother that I won't go into them here. If you want more information, please visit http://www.kellymom.com. Breastfeeding CAN be done, and you can find lots of support right on the internet.
Ok, I'm now done with my pro-breastfeeding campaign, but if you ask me about it, I may go into a long sermon again, so beware! :)
Tomorrow I will begin the sermon, I mean journal, about my diet. Healthy eating choices are so vastly important not only to weight loss, but to overall health. Take heart, ye of little faith--healthy eating is achievable. Tune in tomorrow to see how!
If you made it this far, God bless your heart! You must be bored.

No comments: