Friday, November 16, 2007

Another "exotic" fruit you'll want to try

If you head out to your local Wal-Mart, Kroger, or other grocery chain, you'll now see these big bins of interesting red fruits--pomegranates. They've been enjoyed for centuries in arid places such as the middle east, and now is the season for them to show up here.

They have these lovely, bright red arils, or berries, inside of them. Now, the trick is to get to the berries without squirting the bright red, staining juice all over the place.



First, slice off a bit of each end. Then, score through the skin with your knife, forming sections (4-6). Then, immerse in a bowl of water and break apart the sections. Now you can gently scoop out the berries either into the water or a regular bowl and just eat em up. They taste sweeter the riper they are, and remind me of a cross between blueberries and cranberries. Delish!

I especially love them because they are jam-packed with healthy antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Check out a California based info site here: http://www.pomegranates.org/home.shtml. Try one and let me know what you think!








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are, of course, thought of to be afroditiates as well...and, I have no idea how to spell that, ironically enough! HA!

Anonymous said...

aphrodisiac

I think there's a "ph".

Now I can't stop thinking about that word.

Goes great with strep.

Mysti said...

You mean aphrodisiac? Like "get in the mood" fruit? Woo! I got to get me a bunch more of those!! :)