Friday, March 02, 2007

Friday's Quote to Ponder

"Sometimes it seems like God is difficult to find and impossibly far away. We get so caught up in our small daily duties and irritations that they become the only things that we can focus on. What we forget is that God's love and beauty are all around us, every day, if only we would take the time to look up and see them."
Matthias, Correction Weblog, 11-01-03

This morning's Frazzled Female study focused on when we lose sight of our faith. It said as Christians, we never really LOSE our faith, but lose SIGHT of it when we focus on life's troubles instead of on Christ. There was a comparison to Peter, who wanted to walk on the water with Jesus, but when he was buffeted by the storm, he lost sight of his faith (his Master) and began to sink. Isn't that true for us all? We know we're saved, we know God loves us and wants the best for us, but the storms come, the winds blow us around and we forget that Jesus is right there holding us. We develop a "Woe is me!" attitude. We should remember Paul's lesson to the Phillipians: "4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phillipians 4:4-7)

God's beauty surrounds us if we just look for it, look for HIM in the daily "stuff".

Now, I'm jumping WAY off topic, but it is beauty related, so not that far off, I guess. Who in the world decided that women should have to shave their legs? I tried to find a quote about that, but had no luck. I did look up a nice little history article on general shaving, but exactly how and when women started shaving their legs isn't clear. I keep thinking, "We're mammals. We're SUPPOSED to have hair." I confess that in the winter months, I just don't adopt that hairless attitude very often. I figure no one will see much skin on me anyway, so why bother, and the hair God gave me will keep me a little warmer too. Today, though, after freaking my hubby out one too many times, I took the time to shave and do some "self-maintenance" while I had a slow day. I still don't "get it"--who decided body hair on women is a bad thing? Why did God give us hair if we're just going to cut if off? Here's the little history article I found. It's an interesting read:
http://www.heart.net/~krumholz/history.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny. It does feel sspecial in winter months to have time to get all the self maintenance done. I was having "deep thoughts" about the subject myself today. Like, how little good it does to keep shaving with a dull razor on the one grand day I DO have to do the self maintainence. Reminds me that we can work all day trying to do spiritual warfare, but with a "dull sword"...we never get that "clean shave" feel we had hoped for. Hmmm. Lessons learned from shaving.

I certainly don't carry the same summer regimine. Blowing noses...I do that more. It all averages out.


www.5purposedriven.wordpress.com