Friday, December 02, 2005

"Harry Potter vs Narnia"

I've been thinking about this since the movie previews of "The Chronicles of Narnia" started. Many Christian groups are opposed to the "Harry Potter" series, but seem to hail the "Chronicles of Narnia" stories, when both contain magic, witches, sorcery, and fantasy. I am not as familiar with the Narnia stories, though I saw one of the old movies years ago. I have seen all the Harry Potter movies, though haven't read any of the books. I personally have no problems with Harry Potter or any fantasy movies aside from the fact that I wouldn't take my kids to see that last movie--my hubby and I saw it and it had parts that really scared me. So aside from having scary scenes, I see no problem with Harry Potter or any sci-fi/fantasy stories from a Christian perspective, except that some may not be appropriate for young kids due to violence.

Can someone share your perspective on this?

1 comment:

Mysti said...

Thanks for the storyline of the Narnia thing--kinda like "Lord of the Rings", sounds like. I still don't see that the Harry Potter series is "evil". All the fantasy movies are just that--fantasy, make-believe. Seems like Narnia is still based on magic and not sure that Harry Potter really "condones" anything. If it's all make-believe, it's not really propaganda.

I do think I can find a Bible--I have a few around here, being a Christian myself :) Maybe I'll try to see the movie so I can see the parallels myself. I guess I'm also a bit looser in my media viewing than some, though I do screen what my kids watch and I think every parent should.