Wednesday, September 21, 2005

My Fitness Journal, Part 3

Here it is folks! I know you couldn't wait. Been busy today. Had to do my weekly grocery shopping, but I managed to get my Bowflex upper body workout, 50 squats, and 300 crunches in today when I got home. Tomorrow's field trip day with my DD's (dear daughter) preschool, so I probably won't get any exercise, except for walking around with her.

Ok, enough of that. I told you I'd describe how I eat healthy. It's not hard, it's not complicated, no "magic" food that melts away pounds. Just common sense, really. First I'll tell you what kinds of foods I try to eat daily and then what typical meals look like for me.

Daily, I try to include:

  1. Whole grains--I like Sara Lee "Delightful" 100% whole wheat bread and bagels, Barilla Plus whole grain pasta, Kashi Go Lean cereal, oatmeal of any kind, brown rice, whole grain couscous (special pasta on the pasta aisle). (4-5 servings)
  2. Dairy--Skim milk, light yogurt, cheese, frozen yogurt. (3-4 servings)
  3. Fruits/Veggies--I like almost everything, and I try to eat them in as natural a state as possible. I don't cook the heck out of them and I don't smother them in butter or cheese. I like my veggies steamed, raw, or sauteed. I like baked potatoes with the skin--very good for you. Fruit, of course, I eat raw, except in the occasional baked treat. (5-6 servings)
  4. Meats--I try to keep them lean, and include fish, especially salmon at least once a week. Salmon is great for Omega-3 fatty acids--great for your heart and good for brain development in my nursling :) When I can, I will substitute leaner versions, like turkey pepperoni or turkey sausage, etc in recipes like pizza or pasta. (2-3 servings)
  5. Fats--I love Promise Light spread, extra virgin olive oil (I use it almost every day), canola oil (especially in baking recipes, some stir fry), Parkay Fat Free buttery spray (great for veggies and potatoes), small pats of butter (gotta have some butter), and fat free buttery flavor cooking spray (great for eggs, "greasing" pans, etc). (Use sparingly)
  6. Snacks--Hmmm, I vary these so much, but some of my favorites are Baked Lays Tortilla chips, especially Baked Doritos, Krave snack bars, Kashi snack bars, graham crackers with peanut butter, yogurt, Ovaltine in skim milk, raisins and cashews, dry cereal of any kind. I try to keep my snacks around 120-200 calories, depending on my meals. (1-2 a day)

There's my breakdown of the healthy foods I try to eat on weekdays. Now, I have found that if I allow myself to indulge more on weekends, I can stick more easily to eating healthy things through the week. That means, I make pancakes and waffles, real bacon and sausage and other goodies for Saturday breakfasts. We eat out once or twice. I get a Blizzard sometimes (yum!). It's kinda my reward for being good all week.

Now, a typical day's meals and snacks (I vary a lot, but this would be a common day):

  • Breakfast--1 cup Kashi Go Lean with 1 cup skim milk, 1 cup OJ, 1 cup coffee with non-dairy creamer.
  • Mid-Morning snack--1 cup skim milk with 2 tbsp Ovaltine
  • Lunch--Lean Cuisine frozen pizza, 1 can 7-Up plus, fruit salad with apples, grapes, and toasted walnuts.
  • Afternoon snack--Krave snack bar with 1 cup decaf green tea, unsweetened.
  • Dinner--2 cups Pork Stir Fry with pork loin, broccoli, water chestnuts, green pepper, carrots, and onion (in a bit of olive or canola oil), 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 can Diet Rite, 1/2-1 cup frozen yogurt (any brand) for dessert.
  • (Optional, if hungry at bedtime)--1 cup dry 1/2 sugar Fruit Loops, 1 cup Sleepytime tea.

*Please note: I am a nursing mom and I'm hungry all the time. I DO eat quite a bit, but I try to make my calories count, and not fill my body with too much empty calories. I think this is good logic for anyone.

Tomorrow I will talk about my exercise routines. I have been exercising consistently for at least 8 weeks now, 5 days a week, with a few missed days here and there. Stay tuned to get pumped!

If you made it this far, God bless your heart, you must be bored!

2 comments:

Joan said...

You sound like a totally new girl than the baked food goddess who had homemade muffins and sweets for me every week just months ago! I have some catching up to do!

Mysti said...

Well, Ms. Delicious Banana Pudding-Maker, you've sabotaged me! That was so good. Not too rich, just right. The cookies didn't last long, either. I have some catching up to do!